Owners of Creative Suite editions or individual products version CS3 or later can purchase a 1-year Creative Cloud membership for US$29.99 per month.
Regular price for an annual Creative Cloud membership is US$49.99 per month.
A lot to squeeze into that amount of time but great introduction to the possibilities.
MassArt - Trustees RoomEvent Details
CHAPTER NEWS REVIEW
Chapter representative Andrew Fintzel offered a quick summary of notable chapter developments and announcements, including:
• The introduction of the latest issue of our chapter newsletter, which offers a synopsis of chapter developments, contacts, calendar items and other useful information (soon to be uploaded -- when available, it you can download it at the bottom of this page).
• A reminder for members to check their membership data, including current email address and contact settings.
• A reminder to look to the website for membership benefits, including specials from Adobe, InDesign Magazine, and many others.
Noha Edell presents Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite
It was a packed house for our first meeting of the year of the Boston InDesign User Group and our guest speaker, Noha Edell, introduced Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite (DPS). It was great to see examples of what these new tools were about, and why these tools are of interest to InDesign users. The DPS is a collection of tools that integrate with InDesign CS5 for publishing rich interactive magazines to the iPad. These tools are currently in beta and can be downloaded for free from Adobe Labs.
Noha showed an overview of how the DPS works with InDesign CS5 (the only version of InDesign supported for this workflow). She showed the file and folder structure as well as naming conventions that must be adhered to. She then demonstrated how to add buttons and slideshows to InDesign layouts using native functions such as multi-state objects. For interactive elements that have no native InDesign support, she demonstrated how the Overlay Creator Panel is used to add additional interactivity for videos, audio, Panorama, 360 Viewer that the Digital Content Bundler requires to create an rich interactive .folio file.
To preview the .folio file, Noha used Adobe's Content Viewer, an AIR application [Mac and Windows compatible] that allows for testing the layout and emulating the viewing on the iPad. Finally, Noha used iTunes to "sideload" the .folio file that she created and used the free Adobe Content Viewer, an iPad App, to view the file on the iPad.
Finally, she explained the process by which .folio files are uploaded to Adobe and Adobe bundles them into iPad apps and then delivers them to Apple for release via the iTunes App store.
The evening finished up with our traditional raffle.
Following are some useful links for those who wish to experiment with the Digital Publish Suite:
Digital publishing Home Page
Digital publishing FAQ
Production and Distribution desktop tools on Adobe Labs
Digital publishing on Adobe TV
Digital Publishing blog. Keep up with the latest news on digital publishing tools and technologies from Adobe and see examples of Adobe Digital Publishing Suite in action.
Learn how Martha Stewart Living magazine launched its first digital issue for the iPad using Adobe Digital Publishing Suite:
Martha Stewart at Adobe MAX
A big thank you goes out to Meg Young of MassArt - who makes sure that our group has a home.
To Noha Edell for an educational and entertaining presentation.
Dan Biron and AIR Graphics for printing our newsletter.
Wendy Katz, and the staff of Adobe for making a great product and supporting our group with all our necessities!
Thanks to Peachpit Press for the fabulous books to raffle off.
A special thanks goes to the Steering Committee, panelists, and members who participated in the coordination of this event. All involved are volunteers and are not paid for their services, so their work is acknowledged and commended. We encourage members to become involved in IDUG Boston, either by joining the Steering Committee or participating in some of the operations of the chapter. If you are interested in participating, please contact either of the organization’s co-chairpeople (Andrew Fintzel or Charles Linskey) at the chapter email: email@example.com
- Thanks to Noha for another wonderful presentation - I've missed her! I'm on the DPS beta program and was impressed that Noha was able to cover so much content in the time available. And I even learned a few things too.
- The presentation was packed with a lot of great information.
- Very detailed and easy to follow. I liked the detailed info on how to integrate web based sites into the .folio file.
- Thanks for setting up the program the you did - larger picture into design.
- Great overview of InDesign and its use with the iPad. The only downside is that it was hard to view the projection screen if you're not in the front. Otherwise the meeting was informative. The demos were very helpful in understanding the process to creating a document for the iPad.
Our tentative upcoming IDUG Boston event is February 23rd. Check back for updates!
Please check in at our Boston IDUG Facebook page to confirm the topic, date, and location. Make suggestions for future meetings! Please visit the site and join the group. Do a search for “IDUG Boston” at Facebook.com and join -- all are welcome!
Charles Linskey, Andrew Fintzel
Boston InDesign User Group